Dental restorations are used to bring the teeth back to their ideal contour, strength, and functionality. And one of the simplest restorations is a dental filling. At Troy Ha, DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, it is used to restore teeth affected by cavities that result from tooth decay.
What Are Fillings Made from?
Dental fillings are usually made from composite resin material or dental-grade ceramic. Both these materials are safe to use and can be customized to match natural teeth. Fillings have a putty-like texture that the dentist prepares and applies to the tooth.
What Is Composite Bonding?
Composite bonding is a simple yet effective method of restoring the shape of a tooth. The resin used for the procedure can be personalized according to color, texture, and translucency. It will be applied to the tooth in multiple layers and hardened using a curing light. The process is repeated until the ideal contour of the tooth is restored.
What Are the Advantages of Fillings?
- Filings offer excellent durability. They retain their strength and shape for many years without any visible wear or damage.
- They are highly customizable and can match the exact aesthetics of your natural teeth.
- The procedure is quite simple and hardly takes an hour to be completed.
- Tooth-colored fillings do not contain any metallic content, making them biocompatible and safe to use on the teeth.
- The expansion and contraction of tooth-colored fillings are similar to that of the enamel, keeping the tooth intact even when you consume hot or cold foods and beverages.
- Tooth-colored fillings offer excellent sealing properties to keep the microbes out of the cavity and prevent reinfection.
- Metal-free fillings do not cause any toxic reactions with the enamel or the underlying dental pulp in the root canal cavity.
What is the Procedure to Get Fillings at Troy Ha, DDS?
During the initial consultation, the dentist will screen your mouth to determine the severity of your oral condition. X-rays or scans of your mouth might be taken to get a better view of the cavity or damage to the teeth and help us determine your need for fillings.
Next, we will clean your teeth and prepare them for filling. Tartar deposits and decay will be removed from the cavity through scaling, and the removed debris will be washed away using a jet of water. The dentist will then prepare the filling material to match the color of the enamel. The tooth surface will then be roughened by etching it to make it easier for the filling to bond. The dentist will apply the filling to the prepared surface and shape it as required before hardening it using a curing light. We will take a bite test to ensure the filling fits well. If necessary, it will be trimmed and polished.
Schedule a consultation with our team of dental experts at our Long Beach, CA clinic to get all your oral concerns addressed at the earliest. Please call us at (562) 432-9883 or schedule an online consultation and we’ll be happy to help.